Book/page totals

Top 10 Lists

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Quite a book. L'Engle is an articulate woman who believes in Jesus, who is an artist, who is an intellectual, who is widely read, and who is still humble. A wonderful and challenging book. L'Engle, who is both an artist and a Christian, was asked to lecture about what it means to be a Christian artist. Thoughts from that lecture went into this book, as well as many others. If I was a person who highlights in books, probably 1/3 of this book would be bright yellow .. but I'm not. So I'll just plan to read it again in the near future. L'Engle connects a variety of images and ideas -- theology, advanced mathematics, stories of herself and her family, classic literature, various branches of science -- to ponder and reflect on what the differences and distinctions are between Christian artists and secular artists, between artists and Christians, between sinners and saints and those in-between.

I'd like to think that my perspective is similar to L'Engle's, although she is much more articulate than I am. From her writing, I suspect that I want to grow up to be like her. As someone who is unafraid to face challenges and the unknown. As someone who takes time each day to BE without needing to do and to be busy all the time. As someone who can see what is usual and old in such a way that others can see the newness and beauty of it. As someone who doesn't have to write (or dance or draw) about things which are Christian because her character simply reflects it. All that said, how refreshing it is to read a solid book by a solid person .. as opposed to a good book by a person whose life I wouldn't want to imitate. Haven't yet read anything by L'Engle that I didn't enjoy and wouldn't mind reading again.

Title:Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art
Author: Madeleine L'Engle
Date published:1980
Genre: Nonfiction, Creativity
Number of pages: 227
Notes: Borrowed from Lisa E.

0 comments:

Google Search

Google